Sunday, June 24, 2012

Skansen and Midsommar!

Hello! I apologize for my lack of posts, but I must admit it's pretty hard to make myself sit down and reflect on what I've been doing over here. But it's good, so I continue. Hope you're enjoying the few times I do get around to posting.
So as I mentioned we went to Skansen on Tuesday. What fun! It wasn't what I expected though. For some reason I had this idea that it was an island by itself in Stockholm, but no, it's a park on one of the islands, right across from an amusement park. It's actually like a historical park with animals, houses, landscape and craft in the traditional swedish style. It was funny though because Clara kept telling me that I'm going to see the swedish animals! So for some reason I had this idea that the animals in sweden would be something I'd never seen before, or would ever see again. Come to find out they have animals that many other places have... Elk, bear, goats, sheep, cattle, and some others that you don't usually see in the wild. 

Here's a shot of some women in their traditional swedish dress headed into one of the houses from the around the 18th century. 
Here's a type of swedish fence that I've seen everywhere, especially in the more rural areas that I've spent time in. In Skansen it was the only type of fence they had. It's a very typical swedish style fence and I'm totally in love! I really love how it carries your eyes all around the landscape. 
Above is Josie, Allie, Clara and I, taking tourist photos on the Swedish horses!
Peacock
The male grey seal during feeding time. He was so lazy!
Here's another seal giving a high five for a fish. Cute!
Elk!
Clara taking in the view
Allie, Josie, Karin and I.
Red Squirell
Sleepy brown bear
Owl
Linx!
Some of the Pottery made in Skansen
Here is Nora and her friend picking through Glass pieces. This is where the glass blowers break the pieces that don't make it through production. Then the visitors can come and pick out pieces to take home!
On Wednesday Clara and I made Kanelbullar, the swedish cinnamon bun. Yummy!
Sunset over Stockholm from the subway.
Here's Clara and her friend Karin standing with all the groceries for the midsummer dinner party to be had at Clara's house. 
In the early afternoon, Josie, her Host sister from chicago, Allie, Clara and I went over to North Angby Clara lives in south) to see a traditional Midsummer Pole and Dance. First everyone that wants to dances around the pole after they raise it and sing Midsummer songs. Then a small group of dancers preform traditional midsummer dances. It reminded me of the May Day traditions. 
Some of the girls making desserts.
And the feasting Begins! Many of the food on the table is traditional midsummer food, so I made a traditional american dish, baked macaroni and cheese!


I had a lovely Midsummer. Lots of food, singing and swedish drinks along with swedish lawn games! And good company  as well. We hung around late into the night then around 3 a.m. we all went down to the water for a swim! Brrrr. Good fun though. 
Now Clara and I are on the last leg of planning our trip and really need to get on it. I'll let you know our plans when we get them straightened out today. Hopefully we will! We leave on tuesday and Head to copenhagen to see our dear friend Joy. Wish us luck with our planning. We'll need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment