Monday, May 07, 2012

First full day

So today is the day that the other three WWOOFers took the day off. Two of them went into the city of Uppsala aswell as Karin, she had a doctors Appointment. I chose to stay here to get familiar with my surroundings. The job today was to get the plastic pulled over the third and final green house. Anders, Lars and Lars-Silver-Hair (that is what they call him to tell the difference in conversation) were the only other three around working today. Lars-Silver-Hair has trouble with his sight, partially blind. He comes during the week, except wednesday and works. It's pretty incredible, he works side by side Anders and the other Lars no problem, but my first impression when I met him this morning was that he was almost completely blind. Since I chose to stay here today, I was in charge of making lunch. Karin usually makes lunch,but she wasn't going to be back in time. Lunch is the one meal during the day when we all eat together. I was a bit nervous to make lunch for everyone, considering what I had to work with, but Karin walked me through it before she left and we figured out a nice potato salad along with some carrots with a nice dressing for me to make.

Since the farm here works with what they have grown to eat, the choice of food changes season to season. Since it is now the begining of a new growing season, we are working with whatever food is still left from last season. Here is what they have in storage-potatoes, cabbage, onions, beets, carrots, beans, grains and oats. There are few things they have from the store like Jams and Cheese. Apparently eggs are very expensive here, so they don't cook much with eggs. I'm curious to find out whether or not it's common to keep laying hens and why they choose not to.They also bake bread here so we have fresh bread all the time. I'm excited to get more familiar with cooking vegetarian dishes and making due with what we have.

I mentioned before how we got the plastic on the third and final greenhouse. By the way, green house is swedish is växt hus which litterally means grow house. Well after we had finished that, while I was making lunch apparently the wind took the greenhouse that was just finished a couple a days ago and pulled it about 100 meters from where it was and left it in a pile on the groud. Obviously very frustrating for Anders. So I think that will be one of the main projects for tomorrow along with finishing planting the last 4 rows of onions.

It's amazing how light it is here into the night. and the sun rises at about 4 in the morning. And it's not even mid summer yet! It's still a bit cold here and Karin says it's colder than usual for this time of year. I definetly didn't pack correctly and there are all sorts of warm clothes from home I wish I had brought, but they have plenty of extra clothes and blankets, so I'll make due until it warms up. Hope Vermont is warming up. Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment