Tuesday, May 08, 2012

I know you're reading this...

So those of you out there reading this... I know you're reading... give me feedback so I know what you want to hear about!!!!! Please! Don't be shy, leave comments!!

Anyways, today was another day of getting aquainted with the farm and the people here. We started the morning in the barn where all the sprouts and starters are. Debo (my roommate, a 28 year old girl from Germany), Sean (a 25 year old guy that is here after leaving his life in England, he's half Swedish half English), and I worked in there for a couple hours putting the winter squash into bigger pots. Time passed quickly with the three of us sitting and chatting. Then Sean and I started moving the celery starters from the barn out to the greenhouse. By the way, the greenhouse that blew over is still in a mess and will be for a bit, quite a shame and the metal will need welding. After that we took a short break, then planted the last of the onions. We all had lunch together. A broccolli quiche type thing, but without any egg and a yellow and red beet in swedish is rötbeta, and they were calling it that the other day. Debo asked me what it was in English and for some reason the word totally escaped me!! Karin does astrology and has offered to teach a class for who ever is interested, but we have to do some sort of special job for her beside farm work. So I think I will be dusting her china in her special cabinets.
     
After lunch we did the last of the onion planting and then we had the rest of the day to ourselves. Sean and I took a stroll down through the horse pastures (they have 4 horses) to take a swim in the swimming hole. And wow, was it refreshing!! After that Debo and I talked about making cookies and found a yummy recipe that we thought we would try. She does lots of cooking and baking at home so it was nice to shadow her in the cooking process. Before we could do that we had to go to the store to get milk, eggs, margerine and whatever else we wanted for ourselves. This was exciting for me because i had yet to go to a swedish grocery store. Not much was exciting except everything was in swedish of course! Lars, the younger one, was nice enough to drive us to the store, but otherwise it's only about a twenty minute walk from the farm. Debo and I proceeded on with our cookie making aswell as cooking dinner with each other. THe cookies are called Skurna Mandelskorpor. They are almost like bistcottis. Very yummy. We also made pasta with brocolli, garlic and onion for dinner. Then we sat at the table in the Kitchen and proceeded to eat too much dinner, then too much cookies. We sat for a long while though and had some nice chats. Ana is another WWOOFer, also german and she has been here since February. She is studying swedish to get into a university and had to go into Uppsala to take an language exam today. She got back in time to sit and chat over tea and cookies with me and Debo. Very sweet girls!

It's so funny to hear about all the ideas europeans have about americans. Like Sean yesterday was going out back to practice shooting and he assumed that I know very well how to  shoot a gun, because I'm american. But truth be told, I've never shot anything more than a pellet gun in my life! And it's very hard for me to learn swedish because everyone is so quick to speak to me in english. I wouldn't really be able to make heads or tails of anything if they spoke to me in swedish, but sometime I can hear somethings that sound a bit English. Anyways I've been learning at least one swedish word a day.

I'm taking lots of pictures, but this is an old computer, so I'm not sure how to hook up my camera yet. So I may not be posting any pictures anytime soon. Also this is a swedish computer, so every time I write a blog, almost all my words get underlined in Red, like everything i'm typing is spelt wrong!! Anyways, it's almost 11, and I really need to sleep. But if you're reading, don't forget to comment!! I want to know who's out there stalking my adventure posts and I want to know what you're wondering! Also, how're you all doing????

1 comment:

  1. Hey Morgan...I'm following your blog and it sounds like loads of fun!! The food sounds great and everything else as well. Did you know that Swedish is very close to German? You should ask the other two Germans about that and great them from me :P
    And well just keep on writing about what you feel like writing about ;) and then gimme a hint on what your plans are after farming, until when you'll stay in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete