Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mothers Day!

So today was the first day without rain in since my last post. So cleansing to sit in the sunshine. Working outside, or with plants and dirt when it's raining can be a real drag. But the plants sure do love it. And the rain seemed to come just in time. We had just finished planting the onions the day before, and the ground was looking a little dry. So I imagine the onions are pleanty happy getting comfortable in the soil.

We get one day off a week here and I had yet to take a day off since I've been here. Really though Karin and Anders understand that we as WWOOFers have not signed a contract or anything along those lines so we can really stop working and take whatever days off we want, but they appreciate our help and letting them know when we will be taking off so they can plan around it. And since I live here AND they feed me, I like to earn my keep. Anyways yesterday I decided to work in the morning and made a plan to meet Clara in Uppsala. Above is a picture and that is the cathederal in the center of the city. Really wonderful city. Clara has a friend that lives there and studies medicine at the University of Uppsala. Here name is Also Klara, spelt differently.
From the farm, (which i posted my location from Uppsala one day, but I'm actually in Björklinge) it's a half hour walk to the bus, then it's another half hour on the bus to the city. The amount of bike in the city there is great! next to the bus station on both sides are bike parked row after row after row after row... and through out the city the parking areas for bikes continued and most of the time were filled! There I met Clara and we walked around, got a coffee, peopled watched a bit. Later we met up with her friend Klara, who is so lovely! Went back to her appartment, relaxed a bit then walked into the city for dinner. Klara gave us a nice tour, as a student of the city, she told us all about the student life there, we saw the library and the different sections of city.  They have something Called ¨Nations¨ which is very similar to frat. Maybe not the same exactly, but the same idea. We all walked around the church and saw it up close. I was reminded how small I am in the world standing next to the towering Cathederal.  It was so nice to take a break from the farm life for a bit and get to spend time with my favorite, most lovable Swede.

To be honest, being at the farm is not something very unusual for me. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm not in Vermont anymore. The climate is so similar to Vermont in the spring. But in the evening, I remember that I'm in a whole other section of the earth. The sunset lasts literally for hours. It can be 11 at night and for me I feel like it should be 8 in the evening. I woke up the other morning, for a wild dream about almost missing my flight to Sweden, and it was light as day when I awoke, so I figured it was about time to get up, eat breakfast and start the day. When I checked the time it was 4:15!!!! Luckily on one of my flights they gave us eye-covers to sleep with and I've been putting it to good use.

Right now we're spending most of our time moving plants into greenhouses, sowing seeds, planting starters, getting things going for the season. Also the greenhouse that got picked up by the wind, the last of the  strings have been untangled, and now we must pick up the framing, Anders has some welding to do, and I guess we'll be reconstructing it sometime soon.

Oh, and I skyped with my Mom and Sister for the first time today. That was nice. One and a half hours passed and it felt like no time! It was nice to sit and chat with them for so long though. But not to worry, I'm not getting home sick, I'm fully enjoying my time here and taking each day as it comes.

Anna, another WWOOFer has a computer I can use and connect my camera too, so hopefully I'll be posting photos in the next week or so. Until then here is the website for the farm where I am living. If you want to see Photos it's under ¨Bilder¨.
Ramsjögård 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Morgan...the farm really looks and sounds wonderful!! You're so lucky! I hope get to visit you...

    ReplyDelete