Monday, May 21, 2012

Happy and healthy!

Things are all going well here! I'm very much enjoying being in a family atmosphere. The last couple of days have been very nice, and it's turning into summer quickly. On Saturday Lotta went off with the tractor to go pick up some friends that are living a home on wheels. Similar to a Tiny House. If you don't know what a tiny house is here's the site-http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ . They are parking here until school is out and then I think they are headed to a summer home somewhere near by. They have two children, Another Elvira and Noomi, who are the same age and go to school with Elvira and Ofelia. It's good because they all play so nicely together. After Lotta came back with her new neighbors some more friends of Lotta showed up to butcher some roosters. They had 5 roosters and that was far too many. The roosters were starting to get aggressive towards one another, as well as the children, so it was time to do away with them. After we caught four of them, I volunteered to help so I was handed some birds, holding them by their wings, we took them inside to butcher in the bathroom. I'll save the details, out of respect for you vegetarians out their reading. I can say though that this was my first experience participating in the actually killing of the animal. I can't say i enjoyed it, but it wasn't unbearable either. I did the plucking and saved many of the feathers for the girls. Ofelia and Noomi really enjoyed playing with all the feathers in a big bath of water outside, stirring it like a big soup. The next day we enjoyed the Roosters for Lunch! Tasted like chicken, but more wild. Not really sure how to describe the difference. But it was satisfying to eat something that I helped with providing.

The last couple of days Frank and I have been working on extending the grazing area for the Horses and Sheep and Lotta has joined us when she hasn't been with children, preparing meals, etc. We've taken up all the fencing in the area that will be extended out into a larger field as well as into the woods. By the way they own 40 hectares of land, which equals about 100 acres, half forest, half fields. We're hoping to be done by the end of the day tomorrow. All the post through the woods are set and we're almost done setting the posts in the fields, and we started putting the fence back up today. Wednesday I'm headed into Uppsala to spend the day with my friends that I met at the other farm. I'm looking forward to that. Then on Sunday I'm headed to Stockholm to go to Clara's Graduation Dinner. Her graduation isn't for another two weeks, this is like the pre-party. I'll spend the night with her and come back here on Monday, then join her again a couple days before her Graduation and be with her for another two months. We have a portioned of our summer planned. We have train tickets to Copenhagen at the end of June. I'll also be here for Gabriella's (Clara's mother) birthday and Clara's birthday. We're planning to go to a music festival for the weekend of her bithday at the end of July. And right now it looks like I'll be coming back to the Farm here in August! So far it seems like the summer is flying by, but then again, it's been a little over two weeks. I'm starting to feel the summer settling into my skin....
All the food here is so good. Lotta is a wonderful cook. I've been over eating and can feel my pants getting a bit tighter. I haven't weighed myself, I'm not really concerned with the number, what I am concerned about is my pants fitting me the whole summer, because I didn't put buying new pants into my budget......

Hope everyone is happy and healthy as well and don't forget to wear some sunscreen and drink lots of water! Don't want anyone turning into a raisin in that hot summer sun!


No comments:

Post a Comment